We’ve come a long way since the days of log cabins and shuttered openings, and for a long time, single-pane glass seemed to like the be-all and end-all to window quality. We could see through them, they kept the rain out, and they let the light in. What more could we ask for, right?
Fast forward to the present day, and if your home still has single-pane windows, you’re loosing out.
Insulated Replacement Windows Offer Many Benefits
Insulated windows, also called double-glazed or double-pane, consist of two window panes separated by a vacuum or gas-filled space.
- In temperate climates with both cold and hot seasons, select windows with both low U-factors and low solar heat gain coefficient (SHGC).
- The small space between the window panes can be filled with natural air or the non-toxic and inert gases argon or krypton, which increase insulation and energy efficiency more than that of dehydrated air. Argon is the cheaper and more common option, while krypton is more expensive but has better insulating properties.
- Insulated windows save energy, thereby reducing the annual heating and cooling costs for the average home.
- A double-pane window reduces sound intrusion, and if outside noise is a real problem, triple-pane windows are an option as well.
Is There a Downside to Insulated Replacement Windows?
You can’t replace just one
If your ultimate goal is energy savings, you should plan on replacing all, or at least many windows to see a difference. If you can’t do them all, Houston Window Experts can identify the exposure of your home and which areas will make the biggest difference.
Cheap can end up being costly
Quality is critical, because cheap is often synonymous with poor quality. At Houston Window Experts, we offer 18 of the best replacement window brands, each with something special to offer. Whether it’s affordable pricing, quality manufacturing, or options galore, we’ll help you make the choice that’s right for you.
Quality insulated windows that are improperly installed are self-defeating
The manufacturers warranty can be voided if your windows are installed by someone who isn’t certified. At Houston Window Experts, we have AAMA Certified Master Window Installers, so you can rest assured that your windows will be properly installed and the manufacturer’s warranty will be in force.
Additional Options to Increase the Energy Efficiency of Your Double-pane Windows
- Look for the Energy Star labels and review the energy performance mratings. It’s a reliable way to compare products.
- In temperate climates, look for low U-factors and low solar heat gain coefficient (SHGC).
We’d welcome the opportunity to explain the many brands, styles, and energy-efficient windows available, and should you decide to go with Houston Window Experts, we’ll be with you from beginning to end, and we won’t consider your project finished until you’re completely satisfied.