Aluminum Replacement Windows Appearance
An aluminum window frame is thinner than vinyl, which suits today’s modern aesthetic. It’s also better for use in large, commercial buildings or big residential windows.
Since vinyl can’t be painted, the color pallet is limited, but aluminum frames can be painted to provide an exact color match.
Doesn’t Metal Conduct Heat More Than Vinyl?
Yes, and before the use of the thermal-break technique, there would have been no contest in efficiency, but those days are gone. A thermal break separates the outside metal from the inside extruded metal frames with high-density polyurethane, creating the insulation needed for energy efficiency. Unlike the aluminum windows of old, the newer generation uses the thermal break to fight energy transfer from the outside to the inside.
Getting to Know Thermal Breaks
Not all Houston aluminum replacement windows are created equal. A single aluminum window should have more than just one thermal break. If you’re not sure, ask Houston Window Experts the following questions about the aluminum windows you’re considering:
- How many thermal breaks does this window have?
- Are there breaks in the jambs, heads, sills, and sashes?
- Are there breaks in alignment?
Anytime you have metal touching metal, there will be heat transfer. One surface getting hot and transferring the heat to any surface that is connected. This is also true of glass touching metal or other glass. Placing an insulating material between the two surfaces creates a break in the thermal transfer of energy. Thermal breaks also fight the condensation that often occurs in cheap aluminum windows and provides better insulating values.
Why do Homeowners Choose Aluminum Windows?
Aren’t aluminum windows ‘my father’s replacement windows?’
- If your home currently has aluminum windows and you’re only replacing a few of them, Houston Window Experts can provide a match.
- The Don Young Window Company, one of the brands we’re proud to offer, is known for their high-performance aluminum windows.
- Budget-conscious clients get high-quality Houston aluminum replacement windows for a reasonable price.
- Your father would be proud of your cost/benefit decision.
Are the Available Glass Packages Different in Aluminum Windows?
In addition to the many styles available – as many as are offered in vinyl, wood, or fiberglass – the glass is Energy Star™ compliant and combines LoE Glass with an Argon gas spacer system for enhanced energy efficiency. Additionally, your windows are made-to-order based on your unique needs. Popular features include:
- Low air infiltration rates
- Inside glazed with solid aluminum glazing bead
- Weatherstripping to seal the sash for additional protection against wind, dirt, and noise
- Optional obscure and green tinted glass
- Wide variety of grid patterns
What Styles are Available in Aluminum Replacement Windows?
Houston Window Experts can go over all your options, but in general, anything vinyl can do aluminum can do at least as well and for less money. A sampling of styles include:
- Single hung
- Fixed picture windows
- Double hung
- Double sliders
- Aluminum casement
The Don Young Company and Houston Window Experts
The Don Young Company has developed their expertise in thermally-broken aluminum replacement and new construction windows and doors, and The Houston Window Experts are proud to install them for our customers. When it’s time to replace the windows in your home, contact us for custom pricing tailored to your home and your budget.