How to pick a Houston Replacement Window
With so many brands, materials, glass-packages, and frames to choose from, it can be a daunting task trying to figure out which window is the best window for you and your application. Well, don’t worry- we have done the research and we can guide you to the right window for the project. We have a window that will fit your project, fit your style, fit your goals and also fit your budget. We are here to help!
Do you need new windows?When choosing a window for your home, office or commercial building, the first thing you need to do is determine why you want or need new windows. Here are a few reasons why Houston home-owners come to Houston Replacement Window Experts looking for new windows.
- My old windows are leaking
- My electric bill was over $300 this month!
- I’m always hot in my home
- I’m always cold in my home
- I want to reduce the sound from outside
- I am looking for security windows. (concerns of burglary or physical harm)
- I live in a historic home and need to match my existing wood windows
- I have wood windows that have rotting components
- I have a broken window and I want to replace it with a better window
- I would like to modernize the look of my home
- I have allergies, COPD, Asthma and would like a cleaner home
- I am tired of dusting my house 5 times each week!
- And many more…
What type of Window Frame do you need?Most High-Performance windows are made from Vinyl, Fiberglass or Aluminum. Each has it’s benefits.
- Vinyl is tops when it comes to efficiency. Vinyl will not transfer heat or cold like aluminum will. Vinyl will also be the best type of window frame when it comes to maintenance. Vinyl Replacement Windows that use extruded vinyl will never need painting. They withstand the hot Houston summers and keep you much more comfortable all year.
- Fiberglass is similar to vinyl in it’s ability to provide energy efficiency and stop the transfer of heat and cold. One of the main advantages to Fiberglass Replacement Windows is that fiberglass is a very strong product and withstands decades of wear and tear. While fiberglass is a great option for High-Performance Houston Replacement Windows, it can also add 20-30% more to the price of any window.
- Aluminum Window Frames are by far the strongest of the Houston Replacement Window Industry. Aside from strength, Aluminum offers very little else when it comes to replacement windows. In fact, Aluminum actually is the least efficient type of window frame for a replacement window. Aluminum Replacement Windows are ideal when you have existing windows that are made from aluminum and you are trying to match that style and color. They also have the narrowest of frame profiles.
What type of Glass should you buy?There are three main components to a great Houston Replacement Window Project. 1. The Window Frame. 2. The Glass Package and 3. The Installer. Once you know what type of frame construction you will plan to use, the next step is to identify what glass package to choose from. Whether you use Aluminum, Vinyl, Wood or Fiberglass Replacement Windows, you will need the best glass you can afford in those windows. The quality of the glass will determine how efficient your windows will be and will also determine the amount of light and visibility you will experience. There are several types of glass:
- LOW-E GLASS: Low-E glass is by far the best option for high performance replacement windows. There are several levels of Low-E for you to choose from. The most popular Low-E for efficiency, value and visibility is the Cardinal Glass Low-E 270 & Low-E366. Your Houston Replacement Window Expert Advisor will be able to assist you with understanding which glass package is best for you.
- TEMPERED GLASS: Whether you get Low-E glass in the Cardinal Low-E270 or Low-E366, you may need to have some of your windows tempered with safety glass. Tempered Safety Glass is designed to break in a manner that reduces injury from broken glass. Typical uses for tempered glass include windows that are low to the ground, windows close to a walk-way or door, and windows that are near a bathtub or shower.
- KEEP-SAFE GLASS: Keep-Safe Glass is glass that is designed to prevent intrusion. Keep-Safe offers the homeowner peace of mind that while away, at home or asleep, they are less at risk for an unwanted source penetrating their home. With the right Keep-Safe glass package, you can stop burglars who are wielding crowbars from breaking through your windows. For Expert advice about Security glass for your home, please visit with one of our Window Experts.
- SINGLE-PANE GLASS: It’s the worst glass you can buy for a window. In fact, you will be hard pressed to even find a window manufacturer who will still make a single pane window. If you have broken single pane glass in your windows and you are not planning on upgrading your windows at this time, we would suggest that you find a local glass company to inquire about getting the glass portion of your window replaced. Houston Replacement Window Experts does not sell or install single pane glass. However, we would be glad to assist you by recommending one of our partner companies who can do the work for you.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is the best window?
Unfortunately, there isn’t a one size fits all solution, but that is where our expertise comes in! Your needs might differ based on price, performance, aesthetics, or function. We carry an extensive number of windows from 12 brands which, unlike many other brands out there, allows us to be unbiased in helping find the best individual windows for you.
Who will be installing my windows and doors?
At Houston Window Experts, we only use our in-house employees to install your windows and doors. In fact, that is one of the biggest differentiators between us and our competitors. Most companies in our industry hire contractors who get paid by how many windows they can install in one day. That can cause a sense of urgency to hurry and make more money. In our case, we pay our staff a salary so they can focus on quality instead of quantity.
Are there safety precautions put in place during the installation process?
Yes, the safety of our staff and the protection of your home are our number one priority. You will find that our process is built around protecting your home and treating it the same way we would want to be treated if we were getting new windows and doors installed in our own homes. This means that we always wear the proper safety gear to protect our staff and we always take the extra steps to cover your furniture and flooring so that they are protected from any issues that may occur during the installation process.
Do you have insurance?
We carry worker’s compensation and liability insurance on all of our staff.
What do I need to do during the installation process?
All of the heavy lifting will be done by our team. We will move the furniture, take down and reinstall any window coverings or blinds, cover your furniture and floors to keep things clean, and we will even clean your windows before we leave. All we ask from you is that you remove any breakable and valuable items from the working areas prior to our arrival. (expensive art, china, trinkets, grand pianos, irreplaceable items, and items of sentimental value).
How long does the installation process take?
Our priority is to take as much time as we need to do things properly and to never cut corners. However, we understand and value the importance of getting things done so we can return your home to you as soon as possible. Most projects take one or two days to complete. Please ask your Product Specialist for an estimate on how long they think your project will take.
How much is installing new windows going to cost me?
Pricing can vary based on many factors. The products you choose, the difficulty of the installation, the quantity of units you purchase, and the colors and grids you select. That is why we offer free, no obligation, proposals so that you can have exact numbers, in writing, before you make any decisions about your project. We never pressure you to purchase from us. We believe that if we have what you need, and we can do it at a fair price, you may consider us for your project. We can accept a “no” just as gracefully as we can a “yes”. We treat you with honesty, dignity, and respect.
How long will it take to receive our new replacement windows?
Depending on the brand of window you select, and our current workload, windows can take anywhere from 8 weeks up to 16 weeks to arrive. Be sure to ask your Product Specialist for our current estimated lead times.
What brands do you carry?
We believe in offering multiple choices to our clients. We offer over a dozen brands of windows and doors including brands like Pella, Andersen, Marvin, Anlin, Windsor, and many more. We are like the CarMax for windows and doors. We want you to have multiple choices at a fair price without any haggling and pressure. Buying new windows from Houston Window Experts is painless, easy, and fun!
Can I see examples of your work?
We are proud of our work and love to show off! We would welcome you to drive by some of our projects in your area. We could even arrange a time for you to visit one of our active installations with prior notice. (We would always need to clear the invitation with our client before you would visit an active project). Ask your Product Specialist for details about projects near you.
Do you do window repairs?
We only offer service and repairs to our existing clients and the windows and doors that we have sold and installed. If you need help finding a service company for your windows, please be sure to ask us for a referral.
Are your windows energy efficient?
Unless you request otherwise, all of our windows and doors are going to be produced with today's best technology to ensure that you get a high-efficiency product that provides you with the benefits of a more comfortable home and a reduction in energy cost.
What color options do you have?
Most of our products come in a handful of colors and styles. We have over 100,000 combinations to choose from. While that can seem daunting, please know that our Product Specialists are here to help simplify your project and offer you exactly what you need.
Can I order windows without the installation?
Of course. We have two divisions of our company. We can offer you a turn-key service or just the materials if you have your own installer. Either way, you can take advantage of a 5-Star experience that will leave you feeling great about your experience with Houston Window Experts. Please feel free to drop by our beautiful showroom and take a look at all of our windows and doors. We would love to help with your project.