What Brand of Window is best?
Just like cars, cereal, watches and TVs, there are levels of quality between brands. While brand name is not always the best qualifier for a Replacement Window, it can help. With so many window makers in the USA, the risk of getting an off-brand window with quality control problems, unavailability of parts and inferior service is a real risk. Staying with the major window brands assures you that you are dealing with reputable makers of quality products and that you can depend on them if the need for warranty work should arise. For a detailed explanation on this subject, visit our page on Costly Window Mistakes
. For answers to this question and suggestions of which Window Brands to use, please talk to one of our Houston Replacement Window Experts.
Do you want Grids? What type of grids?
Another decision you will need to consider when buying Replacement Windows will be whether or not to have grids on your new windows. There are several type of grids to choose from:
- Colonial Grids (Most common in Houston)
- Colonial Diamond (Very few people like these anymore but they are available)
- Colonial Contour (They are not flat grids like the colonial above, they have a raised edge that creates shadowing and looks more authentic)
- Queen Ann Contour
- Accentrim Colonial Diamond (Very elegant look)
- Accentrim Queen Ann
- Perimiter Grid (not pictured)
- And about a dozen more.
You will also have the option with some manufacturers to place your grids between the glass, (GBG-Grids Between Glass) or to have the grids over the glass giving it that nostalgic look of a historical home. Grids over the glass is called SDL (Simulated Divided Lights). You will probably want to solicit the help of a Replacement Window Expert in Houston to assist you with the various options, patterns, colors and placement of replacement window grids.
What about my HOA? (Home Owners Association)
Many neighborhoods have Home Owners Associations that regulate home improvement standards and they are overseers of what improvements can and cannot be done to your home and what types, styles and colors can be used. We have found that most HOAs serve to preserve the integrity of the neighborhood by preventing your neighbors from painting their house fluorescent orange or building a three story tool shed in the front yard etc. When it comes to window replacement, most Houston HOAs that we have seen are more than pleased to see their homeowners improve their property.
They typically want to be sure of a couple of things:
- What color windows are you using. (We have many to choose from)
- How does that color match with your home. (The brick and/or the paint scheme)
- If you have grids they may ask you to go back with grids. (Usually they don’t care. When they do it seems that they are mainly concerned with the front of the home)>
- What brand of window are you using and is it of good quality?
- Who will be doing the installation?
- Is the installer insured?
- What time of day will they start and end by. (They want to be mindful of your neighbors).
- When will the project start?
- When would you anticipate it would be complete? (They don’t want the project to drag out too long).
- They may also request brochures, copies of your agreement with the window company, color samples and photos.
Rest assured that we can help with your HOA. We have installed thousands of windows and probably some of them in your neighborhood. We will work hand-in-hand with you to get the HOA approval needed for your project.
Lastly, if you prefer not to involved your HOA, then we suggest that you find windows that are similar to the windows that you see in other home in your area. If you stick to what others are doing you will be harmonious with the neighborhood and avoid any potential issues down the road.
Can I install my own replacement Windows? ..Yes!
Can you cut your own hair? ..Yes!
Can you extract your own tooth? ..Yes!
The question is- “Why”? I, like many American homeowners, enjoy working on projects around the house. What I have learned is that I have limited skills when it comes to certain projects. Window installation is best left to the pros. At nearly every Houston Window Installation Project we perform, the homeowner tells us that they had no idea how complex taking out the old windows was and they were impressed by the precision of how the new windows fit, functioned and performed. If you truly want to install your own windows we would be glad to coach you and walk you through the process. While we strongly suggest you use a Factory Certified Replacement Window Installer, we understand that some homeowners want to do their own installation and we are here to help.
One Quick Fact- The US Department of Labor & Statistics tells us that each year nearly 40% of money that is spent on Home Improvements is spent on fixing failed home improvement projects. Instead of spending money years from now to fix a mistake, you would be wiser to choose a great window and have it installed by an Expert.
The Next Step
Enjoy an informative no-pressure shopping experience in the comfort of your own home. Our Window Expert will:
- Ask the right questions and address your specific concerns.
- Show you a variety of energy-efficient replacement window products.
- Bring sample replacement windows so you can see your options up close.
- Provide expert advice to help you select the best replacement windows for your home and budget.
- Inspect your old windows and measure to ensure a precise weather-tight and airtight fit.
- Explain the window installation process, so you will know what to expect.
- Give you a written estimate for your new windows, including expert installation and taxes.
- Walk you through our window ordering and installation process so you know what steps to take next.
To schedule a Free In-Home Consultation, please visit our complete the form at the right side of this page.