There are three major considerations when choosing replacement windows. They are frame material, glass package, and installation.
When it comes to frame material, you can choose from wood, fiberglass, aluminum, or vinyl. Here we’ll discuss the advantages of vinyl replacement windows.
- Because vinyl is made from polyvinyl chloride (PVC), it provides a substantial amount of insulation which is reflected in its high R-value. It helps reduce heating and cooling usage resulting in lower energy bills.
- Vinyl replacement windows don’t have to be painted, scraped, or stained, and they’re resistant to the elements.
- Vinyl is the least expensive of available window materials, but that’s not the same as saying they’re cheap or low quality.
- The variety of color, size, and style options is wide-ranging, and they can easily be custom made.
Double pane windows
If your home still has single pane windows, there’s no question you’ll benefit by upgrading to dual pane windows.
Double pane windows have two panes of glass set into each frame which creates a small space between them. This intentionally created air pocket offers insulation you don’t get with your old single pane, and if you upgrade from air to inert gas like argon or krypton, you’ll increase the insulation even more.
An unexpected benefit from upgrading to dual pane windows is their ability to reduce noise intrusion from the outside. It’s that extra pane of glass, and for homeowners in areas with high traffic, railroad tracks, or airports, a third pane of glass is added specifically to keep the outside noise out.
Double pane windows increase your comfort, reduce your utility costs, and increase the value of your property.
The Combination of Vinyl Double Pane Replacement Windows Increases the Benefits of Each Attribute
First, let’s not exaggerate the amount of money you’ll save on your utility bills by installing vinyl double pane replacement windows. You’ll save money, but they certainly won’t pay for themselves.
Your cost-benefit analysis should include a number of areas, like:
- The savings, although minimal, on your utilities
- The comfort level of your interior environment
- The variety of color options available
- The low maintenance of vinyl
- The noise reduction from upgrading to double pane windows
- The increased curb appeal of your home
- The return on investment (ROI) you’ll see when you sell
Vinyl double pane replacement windows are a good investment, but like most home improvements, it’s what you get out of them as the homeowner that counts more than whether or not they pay for themselves.
Who Can Help Bring it All Together?
Well, if you’re in the Houston area, Houston Window Experts is ready, willing, and able to guide you through what may seem like a maze of choices.
Not only will we begin by answering your questions, we’ll provide an on-site assessment and estimate. Should you choose us as your contractor, you’ll benefit from our extensive experience, the 18 window brands we represent, our Master Window Installers, and our affordable pricing.
We’re a family-owned and operated company proudly serving Houston families.